What is a Swing Bed? Think of a swing. This program “swings” according to the level of care you need. If you have had an inpatient stay of three days at any hospital, and you cannot go home right away, you qualify for the swing bed program. You “swing” from acute care services to skilled nursing services, and then back home when you are ready.
St. Vincent’s Swing Bed program is approved by Medicare. It is used as an alternative to a prolonged acute hospitalization or short-term nursing facility placement. The swing bed provides skilled nursing care and rehabilitation services.
With encouragement and assistance from skilled staff, patients improve mobility and regain confidence and the ability to perform activities of daily living.
HOW DO I QUALIFY?
- Swing Bed is accepted under Medicare Part A. You can also choose to self-pay for Swing Bed and/or check with your insurance for coverage.
- You have been hospitalized for a minimum of three nights.
- You require further skilled nursing—as defined by Medicare—before going home or entering a skilled nursing facility.
WHY WOULD I NEED THIS SERVICE?
- You have been in the hospital but no longer need the same level of care.
- You have no acute medical needs.
- You do not require constant nursing supervision or need to see your doctor on a daily basis.
- You may need extended IV therapy.
- You may need additional physical therapy after surgical procedures such as joint replacement, fractures, stroke, or generalized weakness due to CHF, COPD, pneumonia, or other chronic conditions.
WHAT SERVICES WOULD I RECEIVE?
- Attentive nursing care
- Medical evaluation
- Nutrition assessment
- Physical/Occupational, Respiratory, or Speech Therapy
- Discharge planning, including Home Health Care
HOW LONG WOULD I STAY?
- The length of stay in a Swing Bed is dependent upon an individual patient’s needs and progress.
- This care is not intended for permanent placement.
- When you have achieved the maximum benefit of skilled nursing or rehab as determined by the physician.
- The care being provided has become custodial in nature.
- You need continuing care that requires long-term rehab placement.
- There is a change in your needs or level of care.
For more information on Swing Bed, please call 719-486-7155 to speak with our Case Manager.